Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I've been living so long with my pictures of you/That I almost believe that the pictures are

Happy late night to you all. As always I hope that you are happy, safe and healthy. Due to the knowledge that there are peope out there who read my insanity who I also see on a daily basis I feel somewhat responsible to update more often. I will also take this opportunity to tell my very animated friend "B Bear" that she needs to get to blogging so that we can all have written proof of both her insanity and awesomeness. You knw you wanna! It's summer (and I use that term lightly since I have had to abandon my car for a life raft to get to work) and I am faced with very little queer television characters for entertainment. What's a suave dyke to do you might ask? Well gentle readers I have been sucked into the 50 shades of grey world that has taken hold of colleagues and friends alike. What is 50 shades you at ask. I answer that question with yet another question, how are you recovering from that coma you have been in for the last 6 months? These books are the most over exposed, over hyped, addictive piece of brain roat I have ever read and I can't put it down. It's like watching a train crash, you know it's going to end badly but you just can't look away. To make this worse is that it ks very hetero. If you are looking for anything gay don't pick up this book unless you plan on imagining Christian Grey and Christine Grey who probably looks very much like Bette from the L word. So what drags me in? It's sad to say but our main characters ingage in very tame kinky fuckery. No I don't consider their play to be intense, provocative or eye opening. I do however find myself hoping that Christan grows some balls and actually plays with Ana and in turn she is gagged and shuts he hell up. Yes at times it's easy to get caught up in the romantic kinkiness, however it's infuriating to watch the male lead become a pussy cat and loose any edge. My frustration with this story comes from the fact that it was originally published online as twilight AU fanfiction. (don't judge ok) And I can't escape the feeling of this being a rip off of someone elses equally horrible literary contribution. I am also faced with constantly picturing twilight characters in the throws of passion, something no human being should have to picture. There is also the angle that the author used fanfiction (which is 100% none profit) to build a fan base, then retract that body of work only to rename characters and sell it. I personally feel its pretty unfair to do something like that. And yet I, like so many people, can't put this infernal book down. Before picking the books up I was shocked that so many people were interested in a book that showcased kink. I wondered when kink became such a mainstream thing that housewives and teenagers alike found a kinship in this book. Once I started reading it the answer became abundantly clear, 50 shades of grey is "vanilla kink." It's the most minimal aspects of kink used make people feel part of a demographic they will probably never understand. It the poly/bdsm communities this book is nothing but a laugh. All this to say, I will finish reading this ridiculous book at some point, which I feel is most peoples feelings. Honestly, if you are reading it for the kink, save yourself the time. If you are some suppressed housewife then read on mama. If you are somewhere in between, you will either love it or hate it.

No comments: